Friday, February 25, 2011

Community vs Coal

    I am not that familiar with the small Texas Town called Eagle Pass, however I can understand the fear of their towns expansion by Dos Republicas coal mine. When I first starting reading this article I selfishly thought GREAT! We need all the resources and jobs we can get right now. Reading on I started thinking about the long term effects or damage that coal mines can cause to communities.  I saw Erin Brockovich, I know it wasn't a coal mine, but it was pollution and I do not know all the effects that it could have on everything down to the water I drink.
The author was clearly speaking to those concerned with pollution and economy in Eagle Pass. The power of the peoples voices are being heard as I read in the links to other articles that the author added. The citizens of Eagle Pass have already considered all the in's and out's of having Dos Republicas in their town and showed their support by voting unanimously to oppose their permit for the first phase of coal mine operations. Obviously Dos Republicas would create jobs, many nee
ded jobs, but for how long and for who? Would the coal mine scare away other opportunities for this community?  Personally I wouldn't ever want to move to a town that was known for or had ever been known for mining.   http://www.texasobserver.org/component/k2/item/17462-david-and-goliath-on-the-border-small-town-vs-big-coalI

No comments:

Post a Comment